"Never mistake knowledge for wisdom. One helps you make a living; the other helps you make a life." - Sandara Carey

Thursday, March 17, 2011

What? Me Worry?

The famous words of Alfred E. Neuman ring around my head sometimes. I find myself wondering to myself how other people's worries stack up against mine, both qualitatively and quantitatively. I wonder what it is about me that makes me so anxious and paranoid about social situations, about making every word I speak the best possible word that I could have chosen at the time, about each little event of the day becoming one huge math equation consisting of factors represented by the people around me, the words they use, the body language or tone they give off, how they respond to my responses, and so on and so forth. Human communication would be complex even in a world where people had perfect connotative and denotative understandings of what the other meant. There are simply too many things to take into account when someone really wants to break down how someone talks to them. I don't know if I'm just simply someone in the same boat as everyone else, and just haven't grasped how to handle this burden as well as those around me, but it sure feels like I bear the brunt of a lot more self-imposed stress than the people I talk to. This is present in my relationships with girlfriends, with friends, with parents, with professors and so on and so forth. Even as I write I feel the urge to write a paragraph that justifies every sentence I produce, because I can picture people looking at this and picking it apart and I don't want to send the wrong message or do something that can be misconstrued, but it is inevitable I feel. I fear that with this severe influx of communication via text, we are condemning ourselves to misinterpretation and certainly a multitude of conclusions that people can take away from statements we make, more so than in the past. Sure things have always been open to interpretation, but I worry that now it is at an all time high, and this frightens me. With the alarming rate at which I see people around me getting into fights with others about things that were said, and then someone having to explain the context and the tone in which they meant it, I get discouraged. No matter the fact that eventually it gets sorted out, I don't believe it's healthy to have all of these conflicts going on and it worries me to no end because as my colleague previously stated about trust, it is without a doubt a shaky thing. People don't always trust the explanations that they get, I know I don't a lot. We only have so much to go on, and maybe this phase of "miscommunication" is a necessity for us to get to a place where we as people catch up to the models of communicating that are available to us in today's age. All I know is, I worry, I worry about rambling as I no doubt have and will, and I feel as though I am destined to think about it more than the average person, but maybe that's just because I'm not hearing those around me correctly. Maybe that's where the whole problem lies, in my perception. It is an ever changing process and I will never cease in my inner-exploration to try to figure out the mechanisms that I use to decipher the world around me and see what works, what doesn't and everything in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment